We met in 2002 while we were both working at BookPeople in Austin, Texas. We got married on June 18, 2005 and now live in a small house in North Austin with our two dogs, Coltrane and Miles, and our three cats - Gnosis, Nona, and Kali. Brian works as an Editorial Assistant at the University of Texas Press and Elizabeth still works at BookPeople as a buyer and the Inventory Operations Manager.

On April 12, 2009 we welcome our first child, Oliver Mott, into our family and on February 12, 2013, his little brother, Henry Charles, joined us three weeks before his expected due date.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

How To Spend Your Due Date (Sans Baby)


Our due date has arrived... and Oliver has not. So, I decided last night that since we obviously weren’t going to have a baby tying us down today that we should treat the day as a sort of holiday rather than thinking of it as a disappointment. This is the day that we’ve been looking forward to for so long, it’s been on our calendar for the past 35 weeks, so we can’t let it pass unremarked even if it’s not how we originally thought we’d be spending the day. 

Brian had class this morning but when he got home we went out for a lunch date at East Side Cafe (one of my favorite Austin restaurants). I had the smoked salmon ravioli with a house salad and broccoli. And for dessert we split a Ghiradelli brownie with Blue Bell vanilla ice cream on top. (Gotta say, I’m really going to miss being able to order dessert whenever I feel like it). After lunch, I dropped Brian off at home and then went and got a manicure and pedicure. It was so relaxing and my toes and fingernails look great - all ready for the numerous photo ops that are soon to come their way (and, if anyone’s interested I’ll tell you all about the Sweet Potato Queen who was in the chair next to me and all of her baby cluelessness). This afternoon Brian and I took Coltrane on a long walk - but only because it’s beautiful outside today not because I’m trying to kickstart labor. I’m done with trying the home remedies - he’s on his own timetable and I can’t make him hurry up. Tonight we will have dinner and I’m going to treat myself to a half a glass of red wine because I feel like after this long carrying this kid around, I deserve it. Then I will take a hot bath, watch some Gilmore Girls on DVD and then go to bed at ten and enjoy the fact that I can sleep at least four hours at a stretch without being woken up (that’s how long my bladder lets me stay asleep if I’m really nice to it). 

Tomorrow I’m looking forward to a visit from Laurie and Lydia. Laurie hasn’t been able to see the nursery in person yet and I’m looking forward to showing it off. And it will be great to finally see a baby in there! 

My plan from here on out is to take one day at a time and before each day is over think of one thing that I’m looking forward to the next day. Tomorrow, it’s Laurie and Lydia coming over, on Thursday it will be our ultrasound, etc. That way each day that I don’t go into labor is an opportunity to do those things I’m looking forward to and not a letdown. 

No comments:

Post a Comment