We met in 2002 while we were both working at BookPeople in Austin, Texas. We got married on June 18, 2005 and now live in a small house in North Austin with our two dogs, Coltrane and Miles, and our three cats - Gnosis, Nona, and Kali. Brian works as an Editorial Assistant at the University of Texas Press and Elizabeth still works at BookPeople as a buyer and the Inventory Operations Manager.

On April 12, 2009 we welcome our first child, Oliver Mott, into our family and on February 12, 2013, his little brother, Henry Charles, joined us three weeks before his expected due date.

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Two Days Overdue


1 cm, 90% effaced and baby is “really low.” That’s all I’ve got to show for progress according to the doctor’s appointment I had today. That and Oliver is measuring over 8 1/2 pounds. So, big baby staying put is what I’ve got and, although I’m trying to keep a good attitude, I was pretty upset by the lack of progress in the past week (had my first “I’m going to be pregnant forever” crying fit on the way out of the office). On top of being *very* ready to not be pregnant anymore and to meet our son, I’m afraid that the little progress my body has made so far is going to cause problems when we go in for the induction next Tuesday night. Since I’m not very dilated my odds of an induction ending in a c-section are much higher. So, my goal/hope now is to avoid the induction and somehow miraculously go into labor naturally. 

I remain hopeful that tonight’s full moon will have some sort of labor-triggering effect on Oliver even though I’m pretty skeptical when it comes to that sort of thing. (Although the nurse practitioner we met with today did say that in her experience working in labor and delivery, full moon nights were always the busiest... so, we’ll see). In good news, although he’s big, Oliver is still looking very strong and healthy and appears to have enough amniotic fluid in there to keep him set until next winter and my blood pressure is back down to normal. Apparently I’m really good at being pregnant but not so good at figuring out how to get the kid out.

Yesterday we had an awesome visit from Laurie and Lydia. It was so nice to finally have a baby in the house. Laurie and I put Lydia in Oliver’s car seat and stroller and took her for a walk. I am so grateful for the opportunity to practice putting a baby in the car seat and to figure out how all of it works. Lydia was a little crabby/gassy yesterday but I’m at the point where I’ll take a fussy outside baby over a quiet inside baby in a heartbeat. She seemed to love the walk we took, though, and did settle down slept on my belly for a little while. I tried to get her to tell Oliver how nice it is out here in the world. We didn’t let her meet the dogs, though, since I’m still nervous about how Miles and Coltrane will react to a baby and I’d rather test them out on our own rather than a borrowed one. They’ll have a baby soon enough (right?!). 

No comments:

Post a Comment