We met in 2002 while we were both working at BookPeople in Austin, Texas. We got married on June 18, 2005 and now live in a small house in North Austin with our two dogs, Coltrane and Miles, and our three cats - Gnosis, Nona, and Kali. Brian works as an Editorial Assistant at the University of Texas Press and Elizabeth still works at BookPeople as a buyer and the Inventory Operations Manager.

On April 12, 2009 we welcome our first child, Oliver Mott, into our family and on February 12, 2013, his little brother, Henry Charles, joined us three weeks before his expected due date.

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Sick and Pregnant.... No Fun

It’s one week later, and I’m still not fully recovered from this cold.  I started to feel better in the middle of the week so I went to work on Wednesday and Thursday.  I woke up on Friday morning and realized I had probably pushed it a bit by going back to work.  I felt worse than I had all week so I stayed home once again.  Being sick and pregnant is no fun.  Even without being sick, I have been feeling pretty worn out lately just from the work of carrying so much extra weight around.  Combine that with a hacking cough, not getting enough sleep and a total lack of appetite and you have one grumpy pregnant lady.  I have a pretty light work schedule this next week, though, so that should help me recover.  

I’m definitely getting to the point where I’m ready to start my maternity leave and stay at home.  I’ve been nesting something fierce this week while I’ve been sick.  I’ve washed all of Oliver’s clothes and bedding and folded and refolded them about a billion times.  I’ve put everything in its place in the nursery and made about a hundred mental lists of all the things we still need to purchase to be ready for his arrival.  I’m getting pretty impatient with the waiting.  Four weeks seems like an eternity.  I just keep hoping he’ll be a little early... not dangerous early, just a few weeks so that I don’t have to keep waiting for much longer.

We got the crib for the nursery this week and set it up on Wednesday night.  It looks awesome and I’ll post some pictures of it once we get the bedding on it and the mobile and the sign I ordered for above it.  All of those things should be done by the end of next week and then all the decorating for the nursery will be done.  The nursery has become my favorite room in the house - I spend a ton of time there, reading and rocking in my glider.    

This week will be a busy one on the baby front.  I’m meeting a pediatrician tomorrow so that we can hopefully cross that off of our to-do list.  The hospital won’t discharge the baby until he’s under the care of a pediatrician, so that’s a huge priority before he arrives.  On Tuesday we’re taking a child care class at the hospital where we’ll deliver.  And then on Friday we have an ultrasound to see if Oliver is head down and how big he is at this point.  I’m really looking forward to finally figuring out whether this is an elbow or knee or what that keeps sticking straight out of the side of my belly.  At this point we start going to the doctor every week.  I’m hoping that having to schlep to the doctor’s office once a week will make the last four weeks feel like they’re going by quickly... We’ll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment