We met in 2002 while we were both working at BookPeople in Austin, Texas. We got married on June 18, 2005 and now live in a small house in North Austin with our two dogs, Coltrane and Miles, and our three cats - Gnosis, Nona, and Kali. Brian works as an Editorial Assistant at the University of Texas Press and Elizabeth still works at BookPeople as a buyer and the Inventory Operations Manager.

On April 12, 2009 we welcome our first child, Oliver Mott, into our family and on February 12, 2013, his little brother, Henry Charles, joined us three weeks before his expected due date.

Monday, March 30, 2009

Less Not Good


Eight days until our due date. I had myself so convinced that this baby would be coming early that it’s been hard for me to adjust to the fact that he doesn’t seem that keen on the idea. At my doctor’s appointment last Thursday, I hadn’t made any progress from the week before - I’m still at 1 cm. It doesn’t mean anything but it feels to me like he’s pretty darn comfy in there and not too interested in  life on the outside.

Also at my doctor’s appointment my blood pressure was high (again) so she asked me to come back in today to have it checked again. When we went in today, the nurse informed me that whereas my blood pressure was “not good” on Thursday it was “less not good” today so she sent us home with the instruction to take it easy. I’m taking that as a sign to stop working. I had already planned on having tomorrow be my last day at work but now I’m going to make it my last couple of hours. I’ll go in, set up my voicemail for my time off, send a few e-mails and then get the heck out of there. I’m so looking forward to some time off before Oliver comes. I trained my replacement a few weeks ago and she’s basically been doing my job since then so I’ve felt pretty redundant for awhile. My brain checked out weeks ago. I’ll be off until the end of May but will have to start working from home in the last couple of weeks of May since I have appointments to buy the fall season beginning the first week of June.

Brian and I had a great weekend. On Saturday we took Deonne and Laurie and my mom’s advice and spent the day doing a bunch of things we wouldn’t have the time or energy to do after Oliver is born. We went out for breakfast at Dan’s (which we will keep doing after the baby is born since I got to get my biscuits on Saturday mornings), went to a movie (it was the first movie I had seen in the theater since the night I found out I was pregnant), took Coltrane to run and swim at Red Bud Isle and then went out for a date at El Chile (where I ate a ton of really good food). 

On Sunday we had cinnamon rolls for breakfast, read the paper, watched some golf and I scrubbed the bathrooms (with a toothbrush... don’t ask). In the afternoon we headed over to Laurie and Robin’s to hang out with them and Lydia. I needed a baby fix. I’m so glad that Laurie and I will be on maternity leave at the same time. It’ll be great to have someone with a new baby to spend time with if/when I start to get overwhelmed or just desperate for some adult conversation! 

No comments:

Post a Comment