We met in 2002 while we were both working at BookPeople in Austin, Texas. We got married on June 18, 2005 and now live in a small house in North Austin with our two dogs, Coltrane and Miles, and our three cats - Gnosis, Nona, and Kali. Brian works as an Editorial Assistant at the University of Texas Press and Elizabeth still works at BookPeople as a buyer and the Inventory Operations Manager.

On April 12, 2009 we welcome our first child, Oliver Mott, into our family and on February 12, 2013, his little brother, Henry Charles, joined us three weeks before his expected due date.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Waiting Game...


Anyone who has known me for more than a few minutes, knows I’m not the most patient person in the world so these last few weeks of the pregnancy have been a particularly trying time for me. The nursery is set up, the house is ready, the clothes are washed, etc.... the only thing missing is a baby. We are exactly two weeks away from our due date but I’m ready for him to come now! (I won’t even mention how ready I am to have my body to myself again).  And, judging by the number of phone calls and e-mails we’ve been getting lately, we’re not the only ones who can’t wait for him to show up. I’m trying to just accept that there is nothing that I can do to hurry him up - he’ll come when he’s ready and not before. 

We’ve been trying to keep busy to keep our minds off the waiting. We had (yet another) doctor’s appointment last Thursday. She checked me and said I was 1 cm dilated although I think she told me that just to make me feel better. She did manage to poke Oliver in the head while she was examining me which means he’s dropped into position. I’ve definitely noticed that my belly is lower and that his kicks are in different places. He seems pretty squished at this point so keeps sticking his butt out and kicking me with one foot over and over again in the same place... it’s getting a little old.

On Friday night we had dinner at Laurie, Robin, and Lydia’s house with their friends, Aaron and Jessica, and their six-month old son, Aidan (who is so adorable). Jessica and Laurie shared their birth stories with me which was awesome. Both of them had nine-pound babies and went completely drug-free. It was really inspirational to hear their stories as I’m hoping to make it through labor without drugs or other interventions as well. Plus, it’s great to have women who will tell me all about the postpartum recovery process so that I know what to expect. Laurie has said that I’m welcome to come over and hang out with Lydia whenever I need a “baby fix” and I’m so grateful for that.

The contractor came back today and put in the doors and last window so the house is officially done. Everything’s crossed off the to-do list ... now, we wait (and wait and wait).

No comments:

Post a Comment