We met in 2002 while we were both working at BookPeople in Austin, Texas. We got married on June 18, 2005 and now live in a small house in North Austin with our two dogs, Coltrane and Miles, and our three cats - Gnosis, Nona, and Kali. Brian works as an Editorial Assistant at the University of Texas Press and Elizabeth still works at BookPeople as a buyer and the Inventory Operations Manager.

On April 12, 2009 we welcome our first child, Oliver Mott, into our family and on February 12, 2013, his little brother, Henry Charles, joined us three weeks before his expected due date.

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Oliver's First Sleepover


As I mentioned earlier, I had to work BookPeople’s annual storewide inventory on Sunday night. I conned Brian into helping out so Oliver stayed at his grandparents’ house overnight without us. We could have figured out a way for Brian to watch him at night while I worked but I wouldn’t have been able to sleep afterwards to recover since Brian had class so it made more sense for Oliver to stay in San Antonio while we worked on Sunday night and slept on Monday morning. Although Brian and I did spend a night away from Oliver earlier this month to celebrate my birthday this felt like a milestone since it was a night away from us and it was in someone else’s house. I cried when I left SA on Sunday afternoon. I was really nervous about how the night would go since Oliver had been refusing to take a bottle. I thought that perhaps my mother was going to have to drive him up to me in the middle of the night just so he would eat. 

But Oliver surprised us all and went back to taking a bottle as though it were no big deal. I left my mom with 35 ounces of breast milk for the stay (which lasted from 4:30 Sunday afternoon until around 2:00 Monday afternoon when Mom drove him back up to Austin) since it was a little more than he would need if he actually took the bottle. I didn’t expect him to take nearly that much during his bottle strike but thought it would be better for Mom to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. And, I’m glad I did give her that much. She only came back with 5 ounces since Oliver was such a champ Sunday night/Monday morning.  It was such a relief to me to know he was well fed and well cared for while I was working all night. And, because he was eating so well, he got to hang out with Grandmama Monday morning while Brian and I got some sleep. So, by the time Oliver got back up to Austin I was rested and ready to love on him. It was really weird for Brian and me to be in the house without Oliver but I am so grateful that my parents took care of him and let me do my job and recover from the overnight. I’m also very grateful that Oliver decided to take a bottle for that 24 hour period - that made it much easier on everyone involved!

No comments:

Post a Comment