We met in 2002 while we were both working at BookPeople in Austin, Texas. We got married on June 18, 2005 and now live in a small house in North Austin with our two dogs, Coltrane and Miles, and our three cats - Gnosis, Nona, and Kali. Brian works as an Editorial Assistant at the University of Texas Press and Elizabeth still works at BookPeople as a buyer and the Inventory Operations Manager.

On April 12, 2009 we welcome our first child, Oliver Mott, into our family and on February 12, 2013, his little brother, Henry Charles, joined us three weeks before his expected due date.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Best Birthday Ever


Monday was my 30th birthday and when my mom asked me weeks ago what I wanted for my birthday, I answered with one word: “sleep.” All I wanted was a full night’s sleep without having to listen for Oliver. If Mom and Richard were willing to come and stay with Oliver for a whole night, then I was ready for a whole night away from baby. And I got one. Brian and I got a room at the Doubletree in downtown Austin and Mom and Richard came up for their first full night with Oliver and Oliver’s first full night away from Mom and Dad. 

Brian and I had a blast downtown. We drank some champagne in the hotel room (our room was gorgeous and had a view of the Capitol) and then went over to Clay Pit for cocktails and appetizers. Afterwards we met Dauphin and Meghan and Dog and Duck and had some beers. We got back to the room around 11:00 and went to sleep. And, here’s the best part.... I slept for seven straight hours. The longest stretch of sleep I’ve gotten since Oliver was born. I woke up for a little while and then went back to sleep for another two hours. It was great.

We had breakfast at the hotel and then headed home. The night went pretty well for Mom and Richard, too. Oliver had a fussy period Sunday evening but slept well overnight. So, first night away from baby = a success = I’m one happy Mama! Thank you, Mom and Richard, for giving me exactly what I wanted for my 30th birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment