We met in 2002 while we were both working at BookPeople in Austin, Texas. We got married on June 18, 2005 and now live in a small house in North Austin with our two dogs, Coltrane and Miles, and our three cats - Gnosis, Nona, and Kali. Brian works as an Editorial Assistant at the University of Texas Press and Elizabeth still works at BookPeople as a buyer and the Inventory Operations Manager.

On April 12, 2009 we welcome our first child, Oliver Mott, into our family and on February 12, 2013, his little brother, Henry Charles, joined us three weeks before his expected due date.

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Run Like a Mother.

The hardest part of bed rest for me was giving up the idea that I was going to be that eight and a half month pregnant lady hoofing it around Town Lake three times a week. I worked hard in the year before I got pregnant with Henry to become a runner and I was really looking forward to continuing that throughout my pregnancy. I ran three or more miles three times a week up until my first hospitalization when I was told that not only could I not run anymore but that all physical activity was out.

Three months of bed rest followed by eight weeks of limited activity after my c section left my body unrecognizable to me. I lost all of my muscle mass and all of my endurance and I was nervous about how long it was going to take me to recover.

As soon as I got the go ahead from the doctor at my eight week appointment, I headed out to the trail. I knew it would be slow going so I resolved myself to start with my Couch To 5K program again (that's how I started last time and within nine months I was running a half marathon). The first day out felt great and every day after that has felt even better. I'm up to running eight minute stretches at a time over a thirty minute run and I've managed to run an entire mile in a row (I gave it a shot one day after I finished the C25K workout and was pleased with the results). My pace isn't what I want it to be but it's not too far off. All in all, my running recovery is going much more smoothly and quickly than I had thought possible. I plan to run a half marathon in November and my goal is to finish a full marathon before Henry turns one.

But the running hasn't been enough to help me start feeling strong again. My pregnancy and bed rest made me feel completely out of control (obviously) and like I couldn't rely on my body to do what it's supposed to do. I wanted something that would challenge me mentally and physically and let me see how strong I can become. So, three weeks ago Saturday I went to a free community workout at a local CrossFit gym. The workout kicked my butt. I was sore for four days afterwards but it felt good. The Monday after that I started the three day Elements class (a prerequisite you have to take before starting normal classes) and last Tuesday at 5:30 AM I found myself in my first official CrossFit class - trying my best to do a workout I never thought I'd be able to do.

I go every Tuesday and Thursday, and although it's not easy to get up at 4:45 two days a week (especially since Henry is still up three or four times a night), it feels pretty great to go, knock out a super tough work out, and be done by 6:30 in the morning. During the first class our workout included box jumps where we were to stand on the ground and then jump with both feet up onto a box 20 inches tall and then back down. I could only manage four or five before my legs felt crazy wobbly and I had to switch to just stepping up on the box and stepping back down. Today our workout called for box jumps again - 55 of them - and I jumped up on that box every. single. time. And I had a ridiculously huge grin on my face the whole time. I'm getting stronger. Slowly but surely, it's happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment