We met in 2002 while we were both working at BookPeople in Austin, Texas. We got married on June 18, 2005 and now live in a small house in North Austin with our two dogs, Coltrane and Miles, and our three cats - Gnosis, Nona, and Kali. Brian works as an Editorial Assistant at the University of Texas Press and Elizabeth still works at BookPeople as a buyer and the Inventory Operations Manager.

On April 12, 2009 we welcome our first child, Oliver Mott, into our family and on February 12, 2013, his little brother, Henry Charles, joined us three weeks before his expected due date.

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Four Years Old

Oliver turned four on Friday. I can't believe it's been four years since he came into our life. Of course, at the same time, I can't really remember what life was like before him. Certainly we didn't laugh nearly as much as we do now.

Four promises to be a fun and challenging age. He's a boy of many opinions and he's passionate. That combination results in a lot of frustration for him when things don't go his way. He's a total cut-up. Majorly an extrovert and loves to be the center of attention. He's one of those kids that I know his teachers are going to love/hate when he starts school. Love because he's just so darn lovable and the things he shouts out at random intervals are often entertaining. Hate because he can be a distraction and he finds it difficult to stay on task.

We celebrated his birthday last weekend with a Monster Birthday Party for all his friends from school and around town. This is the first year we've invited his friends from school so it was the first year that there were kids running around like crazy. We had the party at BookPeople on the third floor. This turned out to be the perfect place. It had all the comforts of home (since my office was just right upstairs) but saved us the hassle of having to clean the entire house. Plus, the store is centrally located.

Lindsey, once again, was a great helper. Many weeks ago she helped me craft the invitations for Oliver's classmates. And she came over on Friday night (despite the fact that she was staring down her final yearbook deadline) and helped me with all the last minute details. She and Oliver made the frosting for the cake (Oliver called it his "very important job") so that I could decorate it. She also made the super cute monster faces you'll see in the pictures below. Even with all the cake decorating and last minute crafting, I still managed to get to bed by midnight. That's a record for me for a night before Oliver's birthday party.

The party was a blast. The kids played Red Light, Green Light, did a monster handprint craft, listened to an awesome story time/puppet show put on by some of my coworkers, beat the crap out of Elmo pinata, ate some cake, and had a blast. Oliver really loved his party and was in such a good mood the whole time. At one point, my mom and I were chatting and Oliver ran up to us and shouted: "Group hug time!" and made us all come down and love on him. Seriously. He's too cute sometimes.

To celebrate his actual birthday, Oliver helped us plan a "special birthday day" as he called it. We woke up and I took Oliver and Henry for a breakfast taco date on the way to school. Oliver spent the day being doted on by his teachers and classmates at school while Henry and I went to pick out a few treats for him to open that evening. After school, Henry and I picked Oliver up and we met Brian at Teo for some gelato.

While we were eating ice cream, Oliver declared that he needed birthday cake for his birthday so Henry and I stopped at Hey, Cupcake on the way home to pick up some cupcakes. This would be a stop not worth noting but there was a really nice lady in line in front of me who asked me how old Henry was. I told her he was two months and she said: "Is he yours?" I looked at her like she was crazy and she quickly said: "Because you look too thin to have a baby his age." Yes, she is now my new best friend.

When we got home, Oliver found the two presents Henry and I had left for him (one from Henry and one from Brian and me) plus another gift from our friend Liz. For dinner, Oliver requested noodles and pork from Din Ho. But he didn't want to go to the restaurant. He wanted the food to come to him. So, Brian went and picked up dinner and we ate while watching Muppets From Space. It was the perfect low key birthday celebration and Oliver really enjoyed it.

Here are some pictures from his birthday party:























No comments:

Post a Comment