We met in 2002 while we were both working at BookPeople in Austin, Texas. We got married on June 18, 2005 and now live in a small house in North Austin with our two dogs, Coltrane and Miles, and our three cats - Gnosis, Nona, and Kali. Brian works as an Editorial Assistant at the University of Texas Press and Elizabeth still works at BookPeople as a buyer and the Inventory Operations Manager.

On April 12, 2009 we welcome our first child, Oliver Mott, into our family and on February 12, 2013, his little brother, Henry Charles, joined us three weeks before his expected due date.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Weight Check

Since the doctor was still a little concerned about Henry's ability to gain weight after our last check at his two week wellness visit, she asked us to come in today to check his progress. At two weeks he weighed 6 pounds, 4.8 ounces. He was gaining an ounce a day but he wasn't back up to his birth weight which the doctor really wanted to see by the two-week mark. He was also still pretty yellow from jaundice and she wanted to be sure that had cleared up.

So, I took him back today to see where we stood. I was hoping for an ounce a day weight gain which would have put him at seven pounds, three ounces. I was so pleased when they weighed him and he was, instead, seven pounds, TEN ounces! The boy is still super sleepy and doesn't spend much time awake every day but it hasn't stopped him from putting on the pounds! I'm now feeling much more confident that Henry and I will make as good of a breastfeeding duo as Oliver and I did. Also, his jaundice is gone so no more Big Bird baby. 

We talked a little about some of my other concerns (because, of course, I can't *just* be concerned that he's not getting enough milk). Like I said, he's still pretty sleepy all the time and is the most calm newborn I've ever been around. I'm not complaining about either of those things but I was concerned that he's not having enough "awake and alert" periods throughout the day. The doctor assured me that since he was a few weeks early that he's doing fine. It's not that he was so early that we need to measure his progress by an age adjusted to his due date or anything but we also shouldn't be surprised if he meets milestones a little later than others. 


1 comment: