We met in 2002 while we were both working at BookPeople in Austin, Texas. We got married on June 18, 2005 and now live in a small house in North Austin with our two dogs, Coltrane and Miles, and our three cats - Gnosis, Nona, and Kali. Brian works as an Editorial Assistant at the University of Texas Press and Elizabeth still works at BookPeople as a buyer and the Inventory Operations Manager.

On April 12, 2009 we welcome our first child, Oliver Mott, into our family and on February 12, 2013, his little brother, Henry Charles, joined us three weeks before his expected due date.

Sunday, November 18, 2012

24 Weeks - Pregnancy Update

I went in this week for my 24 week appointment. This pregnancy seems to be flying by. It feels like we just found out yesterday that we were having a baby and now we are only 16 weeks away from our due date.

We have a different OB with this baby than we did with Oliver. Our OB for Oliver moved to Dallas so we had to find a new doctor. Luckily Dauphin and Kelly loved the OB they were working with for her pregnancy and we were able to get in with her - Dr. Stephanie Reich. I really like her. She's calm, reassuring, and lets me eat sushi once a week.

My pregnancy so far has gone really smoothly (much like it did with Oliver). I've felt more relaxed through this pregnancy since we planned this kiddo. I have had some moments of anxiety (mostly because I have an anterior placenta and don't feel him moving as much as I'd like) but not as many as with Oliver since he was such a surprise! Although I think that if I had written this post six weeks ago it would be about all of the anxiety I've been feeling. But now that I'm feeling him move every day my  nerves have calmed a lot. This little boy has been tracking on growth at every turn - his heartbeat is strong, his anatomy scan looked good, and the genetic testing we did came back fine.

At my anatomy scan last month the doctor was concerned that my placenta was lying too close to my cervix so she wanted to check it again at this week's appointment to see if it had moved. No such luck. It's still lying within a centimeter of my cervix. We will check again at the next appointment (at 28 weeks). The doctor says that the placenta moves far enough away from the cervix in a majority of cases. Of course, if mine does not, then I will be delivering this kiddo via c-section. I had been hoping to try for a natural childbirth this time so a c-section would kind of bum me out but the way he arrives doesn't matter nearly as much as him arriving healthy. But this whole wait and see approach is throwing a wrench in my natural childbirth plans either way. I want to find a class to take (either in person or a self study course) and I would like to hire a doula. But I don't want to start shelling out that kind of money until we know for sure that I'll be able to try for a vaginal birth. So... we wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment