We met in 2002 while we were both working at BookPeople in Austin, Texas. We got married on June 18, 2005 and now live in a small house in North Austin with our two dogs, Coltrane and Miles, and our three cats - Gnosis, Nona, and Kali. Brian works as an Editorial Assistant at the University of Texas Press and Elizabeth still works at BookPeople as a buyer and the Inventory Operations Manager.

On April 12, 2009 we welcome our first child, Oliver Mott, into our family and on February 12, 2013, his little brother, Henry Charles, joined us three weeks before his expected due date.

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Sick Ward


It’s been a rough week at the Contine household. On Monday, Brian was taken out by either food poisoning or a twenty four hour stomach bug. At the same time, Oliver started having diarrhea which made my Monday all about caring for my two guys and meant sleeping on the couch Monday night so that I could keep an eye on both of them. Brian was feeling better on Tuesday (albeit a little dehydrated and really hungry) but Oliver was still having issues so I took him to see the doctor. He wasn’t running a fever and he didn’t seem like he was sick (he was still happy and smiling away) but I wanted the doctor to take a look at him just in case. She said it wasn’t a big deal and that diarrhea could last as long as a week. She gave me a list of things to watch for to make sure he wasn’t getting dehydrated and sent us home.

Oliver continued to feel fine despite the diarrhea on Tuesday but yesterday and today have been rough. He’s been crying what feels like nonstop. If he’s awake he’s eating and then he’s crying (sometimes he’s doing both at once). It’s the first time I’ve seen him crying inconsolably for a long period of time and it’s been really hard on me. We can only manage to calm him down for about an hour or so and then he’s off again (ironically, once the sun set on Tuesday and Wednesday he was able to sleep four or five hour stretches and then eat and sleep some more throughout the night so at least Brian and I are still relatively well-rested). It was so bad yesterday evening that I was convinced it was the c-word - colic, my biggest fear. But then it was bad again this morning so I’m pretty sure this is a temporary thing - just a stomach bug that must run its course. But it breaks my heart (and tries my patience) to hear him scream like he’s been doing so I hope this passes quickly and we get our calm, collected baby back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment