We met in 2002 while we were both working at BookPeople in Austin, Texas. We got married on June 18, 2005 and now live in a small house in North Austin with our two dogs, Coltrane and Miles, and our three cats - Gnosis, Nona, and Kali. Brian works as an Editorial Assistant at the University of Texas Press and Elizabeth still works at BookPeople as a buyer and the Inventory Operations Manager.

On April 12, 2009 we welcome our first child, Oliver Mott, into our family and on February 12, 2013, his little brother, Henry Charles, joined us three weeks before his expected due date.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Out and About Once Again


Oliver had a busy weekend. We finally ventured out of the house again (numerous times). On Saturday we went to Dan’s for breakfast. Brian and I have been going to Dan’s every weekend for breakfast for most of my pregnancy. I love their biscuits and it’s just been a nice weekend tradition for us. We went the Friday morning before Oliver was born but skipped the next weekend (mostly because we were still exhausted). It was great to get back to our routine and include Oliver in our Saturday morning tradition. Oliver slept through the whole thing.

Mom and Richard came up to visit Saturday afternoon and we all (both grandmas, Richard, Brian, Oliver and me) went to Fuego’s for lunch. If you live in Austin and haven’t eaten at Fuego’s than you should go eat there right now. We had calamari to start and I had their fish tacos for lunch. Then we all split dessert - their creme brulee is amazing! Oliver, once again, slept through the whole thing. He will immediately fall asleep when he’s put in the car and tends to stay out through most of our outings. 

On Sunday evening, Brian had a meeting for his book club at BookPeople. Ann and I took Oliver down to the store to meet him and Dauphin when their meeting was over. It was the first time I had been back to the store since my maternity leave started so it was nice to check in and see how the store is looking (it looks great, by the way). But it was even better to introduce Oliver to some of my coworkers and show him the place he will spend the first couple of months of his life. When I go back to work Oliver will be coming with me at least through the end of the summer since we can’t afford day care at this point. Grandma explored Book Kids and picked out some great books for Oliver which I can’t wait to read to him. We spent about an hour in the store and I (bad mom that I am) didn’t take any pictures of Oliver’s first trip to the BP. After we left the store we went over to Dauphin’s house for a little while and ate dinner and had a glass of wine. Oliver woke up to eat but then went back to sleep.

Yesterday Ann and I ventured out in the rain with the baby and ran some errands. We needed another Miracle Blanket since Oliver keeps wetting his at night and I wanted to look for a sling that I could use to wear Oliver chest to chest. Getting Oliver in and out of the car in the rain proved to be a pain in the butt (especially since the doors on our car are so annoying) but we managed to do it without him getting wet (Ann and I got soaked). We went to Special Addition, Picket Fences and then ate lunch at the new P. Terry’s on Lamar. Then we swung by the post office and headed home. We were out and about for over two hours and Oliver slept through the whole thing (he even slept through me taking him out of his car seat and putting him in the sling I was trying on). 

So, he’s managed to be a little man about town in the first few weeks of his life. He’s got numerous restaurant and shopping trips under his belt and has been really great for all of them (the one exception being the meltdown that occurred the first time we went to Special Addition). It’s been really important to Brian and I to stay active and get out of the house as much as possible with Oliver and I’m glad we’ve been able to do that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment